Thursday, October 1, 2009

...giving back...

Alrighty Ladies!!

I have been in contact with the Christmas Box House. We will be doing 2 activities there one in October and one in December. I think it will be a really great experience for you girls. Giving back is something we should be doing all of the time. Let me tell you a little about the Christmas Box House:

The Christmas Box Houses

The friendly environment of the Christmas Box Houses are unique. Children are brought into the shelter program after being removed from their homes because of abuse, neglect, or abandonment. Instead of spending the night in loss comfortable circumstances, they are able to arrive at the House were the staff is immediately available to talk to children and explain what is happening, what will happen, and why. The House staff provide a sense of caring, warmth and continuity at a very difficult time in a child's life.

The experiences of children at the Christmas Box House are best told through their own words:

So that is just a little bit of information about the CBH. While I was working with the state of Utah with the Division of Child and Family Services I was able to go to the CBH regularly. I never had a young child in there but I did have some teenagers in the Boys and Girls Group Home. It is a great place to be (considering the circumstances), it is a place for us to all grow and develope into caring and tolerable people. I encourage you to jump into this with your whole heart!! As I said before we will be going in halfs. Once in October and one in December. Here are your following dates:

OCTOBER 21, 2009
Meeting at the Christmas Box House @ 5:50 p.m. We begin @ 6:00 p.m.
3660 S. West Temple Salt Lake City, Utah 84115
We are only allowed 10 people in total to be in there.
So if we can have 2 parents car-pool that will be awesome.

  • Kaitlyn
  • Ash
  • Shelbi
  • Jessi
  • Mick
  • Carina
  • Bree
All of you will be the October Activity. We will be doing the following:
  • "Thriller" Routine
  • Teaching them the Chorus of the song (very quickly)
  • Reading a Halloween Story
  • Painting Small Pumpkins (we need to be on the look out for small pumpkins, cheap paint, and cheap brushes)
December 2, 2009
Meeting at the Christmas Box House @ 5:50 p.m. We begin @ 6:00 p.m.

3660 S. West Temple Salt Lake City, Utah 84115
We are only allowed 10 people in total to be in there.
So if we can have 2 parents car-pool that will be awesome.

  • Lauren
  • Carly
  • Jeanell
  • Sarah
  • Taylor
  • Maria
  • Izzie
All of you will be in the December Activity. I am thinking this is what we will be doing.
  • Christmas Story
  • Decorate a Christmas Ornament (we need to be on the lookout for the plastic ornaments that we can decorate and random paints, markers, glitter, etc.)
*We must be very POSTIVE...let them enjoy the couple hours that we are there!!
Make it an incredible memory! Respect the children and the staff and
never talk about or bring up why they are there!! We are there for them. We must maintain a calm, quiet and relaxing enviornement.*
I cannot even begin to express to you the impact that you will have on these children by just spending a couple of hours with them. Engaging, caring, and just being there for them!!

Thanks everyone!!
Megs

No comments:

Post a Comment